10 months ago
It keeps saying: Mounting volume on: /var/lib/containers/railwayapp/bind-mounts/
and no signs of moving forward
14 Replies
10 months ago
Hey there! We've found the following might help you get unblocked faster:
- 🧵 URGENT: Postgres DB Not Re Deploying
- 🧵 Postgres crash: volume mount error failed to exec gzid
- 🧵 Stuck on db loading loop: "We are unable to connect to the database via SSH"
- 🧵 Postgresql 16 with volume deployment issues
If you find the answer from one of these, please let us know by solving the thread!
10 months ago
Hello!
We're acknowledging your issue and attaching a ticket to this thread.
We don't have an ETA for it, but, our engineering team will take a look and you will be updated as we update the ticket.
Please reply to this thread if you have any questions!
10 months ago
Acking the issue on our side, working through getting a select amount of people online with the mount issue.
Status changed to Awaiting User Response Railway • 10 months ago
angelo-railway
Acking the issue on our side, working through getting a select amount of people online with the mount issue.
10 months ago
Status changed to Awaiting Railway Response Railway • 10 months ago
10 months ago
Hey Roy-law!
I triggered a restart and things appear to be online. We're still working towards a fix involving startup times/performance and will let you know as soon as we get info.
This degraded performance issue seems to only be related to our US-East region so if it works for you temporarily switching to US-West should resolve things.
Status changed to Awaiting User Response Railway • 10 months ago
noahd
Hey Roy-law! I triggered a restart and things appear to be online. We're still working towards a fix involving startup times/performance and will let you know as soon as we get info. This degraded performance issue seems to only be related to our US-East region so if it works for you temporarily switching to US-West should resolve things.
10 months ago
I tried switching but it's super slow when switching and completely stuck. I am a bit afraid trying to do that again. If you could help me out in your end, that would be great
Status changed to Awaiting Railway Response Railway • 10 months ago
10 months ago
Want to make sure, are you alright if I try migrating this to US-West myself? It will cause some minor downtime while it moves things over.
Status changed to Awaiting User Response Railway • 10 months ago
noahd
Want to make sure, are you alright if I try migrating this to US-West myself? It will cause some minor downtime while it moves things over.
10 months ago
yes I am good with that.
Status changed to Awaiting Railway Response Railway • 10 months ago
noahd
Want to make sure, are you alright if I try migrating this to US-West myself? It will cause some minor downtime while it moves things over.
10 months ago
10 months ago
Hey Roy, we got your DB back into a good spot. We're still going through maintenance on that host hence why a migration wouldn't complete. We will keep you up to speed as we work through this issue.
Status changed to Awaiting User Response Railway • 10 months ago
angelo-railway
Hey Roy, we got your DB back into a good spot. We're still going through maintenance on that host hence why a migration wouldn't complete. We will keep you up to speed as we work through this issue.
10 months ago
the db is up but it's no where near to a usable state.
Status changed to Awaiting Railway Response Railway • 10 months ago
Status changed to Awaiting User Response Railway • 10 months ago
Status changed to Solved noahd • 10 months ago
10 months ago
✅ The ticket Setup Issue with Connections has been marked as completed.
